Howth

A fishing village at the foot of a long peninsula, Howth (derived from the Norse hoved, meaning "head"; it rhymes with "both") was an island inhabited as long ago as 3250 BC. Between 1813 and 1833, Howth was the Irish terminus for the sea crossing to Holyhead in north Wales, but it was then superseded by the newly built harbor at Kingstown (now Dun Laoghaire). Today, its harbor, which supports a large fishing fleet, includes a marina. Both arms of the harbor pier form extensive walks.

POINTS OF INTEREST

Ireland’s Eye

Separated from Howth Harbour by a channel nearly 1½ km (1 mile) wide is Ireland's Eye, with an old stone…

Learn More >

National Transport Museum Of Ireland

Until 1959 a tram service ran from the railway station in Howth over Howth Summit and back down to the…

Learn More >

Howth Castle Gardens

The Howth Castle Gardens, next door to the Transport Museum and accessible from the Deer Park Hotel, were laid out…

Learn More >

Ready for a trip of a lifetime to Dublin?

CONTACT US TODAY